Thursday, December 11, 2008

EDUARDO INFANTE: Funny

1. What scene from a sit-com, book, film or play have you found the funniest and why?
Finding Nemo’s final scene, within the final titles, seems hilarious to me. And yet, I found it rather deep, too. Here you have these fishbowl fish who dream of making it to the ocean. When they finally do, they’re floating in the sea, they look to one another, and finally, one of them asks something like: “and, uh, what’s next?” Hilarious, yet deep. A very funny scene that has even served me as a starting point in a conference I taught last year in Venezuela.

2. When was the last time you laughed so hard it hurt and who or what made you laugh?
It just happened a couple of weeks ago, while visiting Memo, one of my best friends, and as we were reminiscing some of our adventures. We do have quite many of them, as Memo is my friend since I was 11 years old! OK, Memo and I had a few beers in this encounter. But it was not due to alcohol that we laugh ourselves off. It was more because of the special ties that bound us together, and all those good and bad times we've lived as one.

3. What’s the funniest or most absurd situation you have found yourself in? Did you find it funny at the time or afterwards?
When I was traveling in Up With People, we went to a town in Sweden to which we arrived early in the evening. Considering it was Winter time, “early in the evening” pretty much meant 4 o’clock.

Anyway, in this one town, which name I cannot remember at the moment, I was hosted by a guy in his late twenties who lived by himself in a four floor building. His flat was in the third floor, I think. (As a matter of fact, I think I was reading with FQOF’s blogger Andreas that time. I’m not quite sure, though)

My (our) host brother picked us up at the pick up place and then drove us home for that night. We pulled our luggage out of his car and headed to the apartment, to which we went immediately. For some reason, I was not able to carry all of my luggage at once, and had to come back to my host brother’s car for it. And so I did. No problem whatsoever up until this part of the story. The bizarre situation came afterwards.

As I picked that second piece of luggage, I went up to my “home” for the next few days walking up the stairs until this guy’s flat. I opened the door and crashed at the nearest couch, once having placed my remaining piece of luggage on the floor. As I’m sitting on this sofa, a big athletic, Swedish-looking, guy comes out of what seemed to be the kitchen. He stares at me and starts saying something in Swedish. I obviously don’t understand a word of what he’s saying, and reply something back in English.

The guy looks confused, and upset at the same time. He answers back in Swedish, with a louder tone this time, though. And I sort of realize that he is mad as hell. When he’s coming after me, as if he were about to kick me out of this apartment, I mention that I’m in an Up With People cast, and that this guy – to whom I’ll call Mathias – is hosting me for a couple nights at this, his apartment. All of a sudden, those final words crack his serious mood up, and he starts laughing hysterically. It so happened that the big muscle, Magnus, lived in the floor below Mathias. For some reason, his door was opened when I happened to miss Mathias flat by one floor. No wonder why Magnus, the muscle man, was staring at me when I crashed at his couch with a “what the heck is going on!” face.

He was kind enough to walk me up the stairs and report the funny situation to Mathias, though. Mathias, Andreas (if it was you who I was rooming with, A), and myself had a blast laughing at the situation for a good half hour afterwards.

To this day, I still don’t understand what’s up with that Swedish custom on not locking the door of your home…

4. How would you describe your sense of humor and why do you think there is so much variation among individual’s senses of humor?
I would describe myself as a happy and adaptable person. Most times, my jokes go across in a very good way. I tried to joke twice with a professor of Boston, in a seminar I’m taking, and she did not get my jokes, though. But the fear of rejection has never stopped me from joking, or smiling here or there.

There are different kinds of people, and so there are different kinds of humor styles. We just cannot blame it on anything or anybody. It’s actually fantastic, if you ask me, that we have all these styles and senses of humor. How boring it would be if the world were otherwise.

5. Is humour powerful?
Hell yes. Humor is the most powerful, and healing, abilities human kind has developed. An ability that puts us on the edge when we master it, to the point that we can get a good laugh at ourselves once we realize how small and insignificant we are in the universe.

No comments: