Friday, October 17, 2008

RESPONSIBILITY - Eduardo Infante

1. What is your principle on RESPONSIBILITY. And how does that play out in your life?
My principal responsibility, as I see it, is to take advantage of the gifts/talents that God/life has granted me.

Therefore, my principle on responsibility is that it (responsibility) plays an important role in my life as I usually question whether my actions can impact my environment, the things surrounding me. Usually, the answer to that question is “yes”, and so I engage into more duties and tasks than what a person living in his comfort zone may think is good for one’s mental/moral/legal health.


2. Where does the principle of responsibility come from?
In my case, it comes from a mixture of both, my religious beliefs and my personal outlook to life. I’m one who believes in justice and fairness, thus, I tend to believe that a person with more privileges is a person with more responsibilities, too. I live in a country where less than 2% of the total population has the chance to study in a private university, undertake a undergrad degree, and a later postgraduate (masters) degree, like I did. Hence, it’s only natural for me to believe that I have way more responsibilities to my country than the person next door. Is this a requirement? Not at all. It does not come by fear, either. It’s basically a condition under which I fully acknowledge that I must not play a passive role. Teaching has been a way to do something in favor of my community, for I see it as a safe way to promote change in a somehow non-hostile environment.


3. What is something you learned from being irresponsible?
I’ve learned that you cannot ever be either fully responsible or fully irresponsible. There is always going to be a good combination of the two. In those moments in which I’ve let myself be carried away with irresponsibility, I’ve learned that I’m fonder of the responsible side. For some reason, I enjoy more being accountable than not.

4. What is an example in the world today in which you, or someone greater than you, needs to take more responsibility?
If I take it to my daily life, I could find plenty examples in which universities, and in general, the whole education system, needs to stress, a bit more eagerly, certain principles in the young adults we are pretending to shape. Precisely today, I talked about an example with my employer in which we let a group of students get away with their acts, without showing them the consequences of their bad performance. To be honest, not only was I mad and angry with the President of my campus, because it was his decision that these students got what they wanted. But I was also sad and frustrated, because what we are teaching them, in the end, is not the correct lesson. If they are about to graduate, and they still believe that life will always grant you a second chance, we as a school are being irresponsible.


5. Is everyone in the world “responsible” for everyone else in the world?
Yes, even though is much easier to pretend that we are not. I mean, look at the way a human society was originally conceived, people lived in tribes, and everyone took care of each other. I know we don’t live in tribes but in a global village, nowadays. But I also know that it’s easier to mind our own business than to try to help/change/re-shape what’s going on around. And the line between doing that, merely for altruist purposes, and getting into someone else’s nose is just too thin. So it’s a lot more comfortable for a big percentage of the world’s population simply not to do anything to change the world.

No comments: