Sunday, November 2, 2008

BIANCA REGINA: Travel, Work and Politcs

1. Can you describe a favorite travel memory? It doesn’t have to be extraordinary - simple is good, too – but what is a memory of some travel experience that you treasure?

Being in Naples, Italy with the husband, eating pizza every day, drinking as much capuccino as we could, savouring street food, being outside - just trying to soak up all the simple, wonderful things about Italian life. Another favourite memory is being by myself on transatlantic flights. I really enjoyed being alone, and noticing that moment when time begins to drift, changing from one time zone and continent to another.

2. What is something you’ve learned from traveling – a lesson that you’ve tried to carry with you in the rest of your life?

Like Andreas: to take less. I once travelled in Mexico with my elder brother, me having already learned this lesson, him more and more annoyed with the weight of his backpack (and with watching me and my small, lightweight backpack) every day. In the end, he left a bunch of clothing behind in a hotel. Maybe some very tall Mexican is still wearing his clothes today.
Another lesson: to prepare. I love it when I have everything with me, down to the miniature bottle of my favourite conditioner, earplugs and a well-stocked MP3 player. It kind of contradicts the first lesson, so I would probably modify it to say that I think about not taking too much, but that I also take as many things as possible to treat myself well (even if three pairs of pants, four rings and four pairs of earrings aren't really necessary for a weekend, it's great to be able to choose).

3. I’ve been doing a bit of reading about work and careers lately, and came across this quote: “Jump, and a net will appear.” What does that say to you, if anything, and does it apply in any way to your own life?

I haven't jumped all that much
career-wise, in fact, parts of my career can accurately be described as stumbling. I like to think that I could jump if I had to, and that I would trust that a net would appear. Currently, I don't have to, so it doesn't really apply. I take risks in doing therapy and I try out new things, but that's walking or possibly skipping, not jumping.

4. Here is another quote about work and life choices that I recently discovered: “I must simplify my life, and whittle down what I do to the things that I am absolutely the most passionate about, or else I risk being stuck in mediocrity.” Similarly, what does that say to you, if anything, and does it apply to your own life?

It does say something to me. Like I said, I try to get rid of stuff that's not good for me. I also only work four days a week - a luxury I can afford because my job is well paid, but also something I do to increase the quality of my work. Well, also to increase the amount of time I have to do fun things. I can live with being mediocre for part of the time too, otherwise, life just gets too exhausting for me.

5. The U.S presidential election is on Tuesday. By the time you have to answer this question, we’ll know the outcome of the vote. How do you think the result of this election affects how the world views the U.S.? (Or, if you prefer, how you personally view the U.S., or how the U.S. might view itself?)

Most Europeans support Barack Obama. The weekly newspaper I read does not even try to be objective in its coverage of the election, it has wholeheartedly embraced the Democratic candidate. It's only Sunday, but the husband and me have already talked about when results will be coming in. See from afar, the question associated with this election is whether the States will change or not. Me, I'd like to see change.

No comments: