Friday, November 7, 2008

EDUARDO INFANTE: Predjudice and Stereotypes

Ok, first of all, I apologize for the delay. Several events in my personal/professional life led me to skip posting anything two weeks ago. I am now writing with a big delay. But assuming you all understand how hectic things can get from time to time, I'm sorry you'll forgive me. So here's my answers...

1. What are some of the things that people who don't know you very well tend to think of you?
People who don't know me tend to think of me as: a) a very serious individual, b) a kind fellow, c) an easy-going dude, d) a mature guy, and e) a well-informed person.


2. Which of these assumptions are true?

Let's see... let me get through each of these on an individual basis:

a) A very serious individual. This is the most basic assumption that people who don't know me make about me. And it's true, to some extent. I would not call my self a serious person as much as I would say I'm a rather thoughtful guy. That is, I like to internalize my thought before they come out of my mouth. Most times, however, this is perceived as if I were a rather quiet, perhaps shy person, which is not true. Those who know me well know that I can be as outgoing and outspoken as anyone else. It's just that I like to measure my words and actions before hand... most times.

b) A kind fellow. Yes, they get me right if that's the first impression I leave on people to whom I just met. I'm kind, I'm mellow, I'm the kind of person who cares about others, who suffers with injustice, and who cannot help drop a tear or two in the movies, if the film calls for it. I also try to be gentle on people. My education steps up most times, and it's rather improbable than I won't let a lady in first, when we're both about to enter a building.

c) An easy-going dude. No hidden personality here, either. I try to go through life in a happy-go-lucky mode, which sometimes drives people close to me (e.g. wife) nuts.

d) A mature guy. I am mature. But sometimes I get to be too childish, too. Perhaps, most people who first meet me may be led to think I'm more mature than I actually am.

e) A well-informed person. My cultural baggage and my education, as well as my drive to stay up to the news, on almost everything, usually allow me to get along with most types of people, despite the apparent differences I may have with them.


3. Which stereotypes about your country are true, if any?
  • Mexicans are lazy. Eduardo Infante is not lazy, but he is perhaps a little bit too laid-back for some cultures.
  • Mexicans are warm and friendly.Yep, that's me.
  • Mexicans are not hard workers. Not me. If 70 hours a week at my workplace and a huge commitment to my employer are not enough to argue the contrary, I can at least guarantee you that you will find a hard worker in me. If something, I can get too distracted, trying to do too many things at once, from time to time.

4. What are situations in which you find yourself to be prejudiced?
At 5'10'', I don't fall in the "tall people" category. Sometimes, I've found that people tend to think better of taller persons, and (profesionally) I've found myself excluded from certain opportunities, just because of my height. My weight is a whole different issue. I have the feeling that some people may judge me as a non persistant person just because I've let myself to gain some extra pounds in the recent years.


5. To you, what value is there in stereotypes?
I try to think of stereotypes as a negative in the way we perceive things. Nonetheless, I would lie if I said I don't have stereotypes on others myself. Therefore, I can at least assure you that I've learned from my mistakes, and can honestly say that breaking stereotypes is one of the most gratifying things that have ever happened to me.

No comments: